Saturday, March 15, 2014

Yoonhae Kang (강윤혜) / 2014 / Tuesday 9am

Kang Yoonhae

 

2014, a year of challenges

                                           

To most university students, a year of sophomore means they are now in a stable circumstance, escaping from a freshman life with full of challenges. However, a year of 2014 which I become a sophomore has already brought me lots of challenges that I have to face with.  I recently changed my major from an Asian language to EIT. In addition, I started living alone in a house near HUFS. These two big changes made me to think of 2014 as a year of challenging.

           To begin with, recently I made a challenge of changing my major to EIT. The reason was that I wanted to spend my time learning subjects which I truly have an interest. Last year I once studied about English interpretation and translation slightly in a culture class. I really enjoyed the class and started to consider seriously about changing my major to EIT. Consequently, I'm now an EIT student. It was not easy to make a decision of switching my major as it throws away whole my credits of major that I attended last year. In addition, adjusting to the new department requires relatively high level of diligence as the subject is totally different compared to my ex-major.  However, I'm really happy now. Every time I enter the class I feel very excited for what I'm going to learn today. I'm willing to face this new challenge.

           Furthermore, I'm managing to lead my life by myself leaving my family. Until last year I used to live with my brother at Ann-am-dong after I came up to Seoul from Busan. However, he recently got a call of duty and joined the army. Therefore, I had no choice but to have a challenge of living alone. It was very lonely at first because there was nobody who greeted me when I came back to home. In addition, it was a torture to make my own meal and eat it without having anyone to talk. I felt desperate and lonely. However, I felt much comfortable as new semester has begun. My friends really helped me to find my rhythm of life. They mentally supported me. Now I'm trying to become a more independent person who can roll my own life.

           My 2014 has started with big challenges. It was a little frightening at first, however, I expect those challenges will make me getting my growth. I believe that it will help me to find the way to my future career and also increase my sense of independence as an adult. At the end of this year I will gladly make up a compliment, saying "Well done, 2014".

          

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Peer Feedback Sheet
    To Kang Yoonhae From Hoo Hwi Assignment 2014
    1. What I like about this piece of writing firstly you made the article clear by using the signpost. You have a good introduction, two clear body paragraphs and a concluding. Then, you well used the examples to build rapport with readers.

    2. Your main point seems to be 2014 started with two big challenges.

    3. These particular words or lines struck me as powerful!
    Words or lines
    1. In addition
    2. Find my rhythm of life
    3. Have no choice but
    I like them because
    1. Clearly
    2. lively
    3. advanced writing

    5. Some things aren’t clear to me. These lines or parts could be improved
    Lines or parts
    1. Changed my major from…to..
    2. Throw away whole my credits
    3. Make me getting…
    need improving because
    1. from…into…
    2. give up all my former credits
    3. get



    6. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this piece of writing is
    Some sentences can be simplified by not saying the obvious parts. For example: “become a sophomore has already brought me lots of challenges that I have to face with” may be better saying “become a sophomore has already brought me lots of challenges.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. To: Yoonhae Kang
    From: Wonpil Lee
    Assignment: 2014

    What I like about this piece of writing is your honest expressions like talking to someone in person. The structure of your piece of writing is also very clear and understandable.

    Your main point seems to be the challenging decisions in 2014. You made two difficult decisions. One is changing your major, and the other is to live alone.

    The sentence “It was not easy to make a decision of switching my major as it throws away whole my credits of major that I attended last year.” struck me as powerful. Even though I also wanted to change my major when I was a sophomore, I ended up not changing my major because of exactly the same reason: the credits. You did it. I applaud your courage.

    Everything is fairly clear to me.

    Have you considered that you add some episodes which describe the concrete situation in which your friends help you find your own rhythm? It would be better.

    Thank you. I really enjoyed your piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete