Friday, March 14, 2014

Sujin Park/assignment#1_year 2014/Tues.9-11am

Sujin Park/assignment#1_year 2014/Tues.9-11am

 

 

 

Annyoung, 2014

 

Sujin Park

 

"Annyung!" When a Korean friend tells you like this, how would you respond? 'Annyung' is an interesting Korean word of greeting. You can speak it when you say goodbye or also, surprisingly, say hello. In English, 'bye-bye' and 'hello' can never be switched over each other, but 'annyung' does. One of my friends made interesting guess about it before. She said that maybe it is related to a traditional Asian way of thinking which is 'One end can also be another new start', and I liked her guess. Year 2014 is like 'annyung' to me. I have to say goodbye to many things I have loved, and at the same time I will make a new start to live the life of my own. This 2014 is my last year as a university student and my first year as a soon-to-be fledgling member of the society.

     At first, by the end of this year, I have to complete all the credits and certificates required to graduate. A life of a senior student is always hard. Like most of my classmates, I am going to go through this semester with full twenty credits and study to get two language certificates concerning with my majors. Although, there is even a joke that a synonym of a senior university student is 'the busiest person in the world', it is actually the truth, not a joke. But I just have noticed that this end is really the end. Perhaps this last year of my university will never come back again. So I want to take it seriously. I want to make my best effort on every class. The word 'the last' seems to give positive power to me.

     On the other hand, I should work on to be the best candidate for my job. My dream future is to be an expert of International Development & Cooperation Studies and related areas. It is not so much connected with my majors, so it is hard to study and be prepared for IDS jobs on my own. However, finally after this year, I can start a new big part of my life, the life of my own, and also the life of doing what I love to do. It is so excited! It encourages me a lot. For now, my priority is to study for KOICA entrance exam, and I am also working on some qualifications for several development internships. The second part of my life has already begun!

     Through a couple of months until now, I have thought that wrapping up is not easy and starting up is not easy, too. Sometimes I feel that I do not belong to any group; I feel like I am neither a university student anymore nor a member of the society yet. Moreover, there are so many things to do and prepare, so sometimes I cannot decide which one I should do first. University days which I used to are quickly passing by, and new chances and possibilities are quickly rushing towards me. What I try to do is to concentrate on each and every day. An end is a new start and I am standing right there. I hope I can say 'annyoung!' to year 2014 with smile at the end of this year.

 

6 comments:

  1. To: Sujin Park
    From: Wonpil Lee
    Assignment: 2014

    I really like the introduction part of your work. It is catching. The Korean word An-Nyung which is used when saying hello and goodbye is completely connected with the end of your college life and the beginning of your job career.

    Your main point is that you will do your best to both the end and the new start in spite of their difficulty.

    The line “Sometimes I feel that I do not belong to any group; I feel like I am neither a university student anymore nor a member of the society yet.” struck me as powerful. That phrases show your confusion which resulted from a junction of life.

    Well-structured and neat.

    I really enjoyed your piece of writing. I wish you a good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your so kind comments :^) !

      Delete
  2. TO: Sujin Park
    FROM: HAYOON KIM

    Hi. I think your hook was very powerful. “Annyoung” is indeed a very special word in Korea.

    I see that this year is the last year for you as a college student. It seems like you are preparing and have been preparing for the life after college, your future career. I think this essay shows that you are confident in what you want to do, and although it is somewhat hard to start something new, I know your 2014 will shine brightly as ever.

    Just a minor suggestion- in the second line in the first paragraph, what about “You can [say] it when you [mean] goodbye”?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your encouragement, Hayoon. ^^ Thank you very much !

    ReplyDelete
  4. To: Sujin Park
    From: Yoon-Shik Shin

    One thing I like about this particular writing was the interesting way you alluded into your main points. I also liked how you made the analogy of "One ending leading to another beginning" through a Korean word that we use on a daily basis. It was motivating to read your personal goals, and have in some ways, inspired me to think about my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. from yang da hyun
    assignment #1

    What I like about you writng is your first paragraph. (Maybe the hook, annyung) it caught my attention, and it was easy to read and fun.

    your main point seems to be you want to do a good job this year, and also hope that you can say happy 'annyung' to your 2014.

    especially, I like here; 'Moreover, there are so many things to do and prepare, so sometimes I cannot decide which one I should do first' . It is because I always feel the same way, so when I read here, I gave an exclamation.

    totally, I think it is well organized and clear.
    It was nice to read your writing :)

    ReplyDelete