Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Yoon-Shik Shin/ Dream Job/ Tuesday 9am Class

20130181 Yoon-Shik Shin

Childhood Dreams to Adulthood

 

             Animation is an interesting culture; made by adults for the children. But in Korea, it was always considered a culture for the minority. The usual connotation of people who are interested in animating includes a tendency to be social shut-ins.  However, such beliefs are obviously misled. In fact, becoming a successful animator could be an aspiration for many. Having been born in 1994, Toy Story from Pixar animation studios was an inseparable part of life. The way in which a film that was targeted to a younger audience contained many themes that even adults can relate to, was in a way, the most fascinating thing. Such hopes have been fortified throughout the course of my life, and therefore I believe that I am qualified for the position as an animator at Pixar.

           First of all, an animation should be able to communicate with the people. To illustrate the creators can imply life lessons, or even try to deliver specific messages with their works. In order to do so, it is imperative that communication between all the working staff is clear and coherent. To satisfy such needs, I am able to read write and speak Korean, English, and Japanese. I acquired these skills by moving around different places around the world. Because of my cultural background, I also achieved the ability to be curious about all cultures, and to go further as to respect each culture's characteristics. Not only will such quality aid me in getting along with coworkers, but it can also provide me with a larger spectrum of the world, which can ultimately increase the quality of our stories.

           In addition to my linguistic abilities, I also have the technical skills to become a successful animator. Recent trends in the digital illustration industry have met a shift from the Windows or Max operating system to the Linux. Linux is an OS that is not distributed widely throughout the public, but it is necessary in order to create works that require a lot of memory. In addition to understanding over the Linux, I am able to do basic coding for all three operating systems. Also, I am able to independently create animation reels with the use of Maya. In addition to the basics which include forming shapes, adding texture, and expressing movement, I am able to recreate real-life lighting as well as handle the technical engineering aspects of program use. The qualities above clearly covers all an animator of this century needs to know, and I am confident that I will be able to finish any given task.

 

 

           Animation is more than a series of moving pictures, and it is not a culture merely aimed toward children. From a personal standpoint, it is very similar to literature, but has an interactive perspective to it. Most works include messages, themes, or social connotations; and each work is the ultimate masterpiece forged by accumulated effort between many talented artists. Such work has been a childhood dream that leads up to adulthood. I personally believe that I am qualified for such job in that I possess many qualities of a competent animator.

No comments:

Post a Comment