A new perspective of looking at song lifting.
201300510 KIM HAYOON
When was the last time you actually went to a music store and bought an album? Many of you would not remember. If you look closely, you would recognize that most of the songs in your phone's playlist are from a free downloading site or an app. Strictly speaking, these kinds of free distribution is certainly not legal, but people download files anyway. Should downloading music files from the Internet or an application be punished? I say we should not jump to conclusion right away because of three things; a trend, a type of showing interest and the quality of music they produce.
First and foremost, downloading music has become a trend. Due to technological development, devices that are used for listening to music has been made smaller. In the old days, people used LPs and stereos when they wanted to listen to music. However, we now use smartphones and MP3 players, which are smaller and much portable. With the miniaturization of devices came the downsizing of the music itself. We no longer have to buy disks. Downloading songs off the Internet has become easier and a more convenient way of listening to music. This indeed, is a new wave and a new trend, and it is useless to argue about whether to ban this phenomenon. Instead, artists should find a way to survive that corresponds with the rapidly changing world around us.
Another way to approach this matter is to see it as a type of showing consumers' interest. Think about the radio. If a good song comes out when I am listening to the radio, I immediately record it and later find what song it was. If the music did not catch my ear, I would have just let it pass away. Nobody said I was wrong for recording a random music coming out of the radio. It is the same with downloading. People download because they want to know what that song is. Neil Young once said that song lifting is the new radio. Therefore, we should not shut the way to experience different types of music. Some argue that the using online sound source has minimized the record industry. Up to a point, I agree, because it is hard to find an offline record shop these days. However, this does not mean that all the blame should go to consumers. The deeper problem lies in the profit structure of music companies that only rely on customers' conscience.
The last thing that should be considered is the quality of the album itself. As I mentioned above, the offline music industry is heading to a decline. Some artists say that the illegal downloading of their creation led to a poorer industry. This argument may be partly correct if every customer is getting music online without paying for it. However, I do not believe this is true because the quality of the artwork comes first. If you want somebody to buy your music, you have to make it worthwhile for the customer. People are not fools. They know when the album is a true masterpiece. Consumers never waste their time and energy visiting a record shop for just a one song they like when the other numbers are not so worth it.
Music is a genre that will continue for all future generations, therefore it is important to establish some boundaries to protect both artists and consumers. The debate of banning free music downloading off the Internet is continuing. I am convinced that it should not be banned because you cannot reverse what is already happening, you need to understand it as a type of showing interest and the quality of the song should be attractive enough to allure consumers. I hope that musicians, companies and consumers can find a way to coexist.
Hello this is Jinsu Park
ReplyDelete1. yes it has 5 paragraph
2. Yes. it said even if downloading is illegal, it is trend
3. Yes, it does contain topic
4. it does have a counter- argument, in that industry needs to improve to make people buy their album.
5. Yes, paragraph has it's background information and support topic sentence in every paragraph.
6. Yes, it make a hope of prediction about the future.
Whose fault is it?
ReplyDelete201300510 KIM HAYOON
When was the last time you actually entered a record shop and bought an album? Many of you would not remember. If you look closely, you would recognize that most of the songs in your playlist are from a free downloading site or an app. Strictly speaking, these kinds of free distribution is certainly not legal, but people download files anyway. Should downloading music files from the Internet or an application be punished? I say we should not jump to conclusion right away because it is a trend, a unique way of showing interest, and a reconsideration of the quality of produced albums is necessary.
First and foremost, downloading music off the Internet has become a trend. Due to technological development, devices that are used for listening to music has been made smaller. In the old days, people used LPs and stereos when they wanted to listen to music. However, we now use smartphones and MP3 players, which are smaller and much more portable. With the miniaturization of devices came the downsizing of the music itself. We no longer have to buy disks. Downloading songs off the Internet has become an easier and a more convenient way of listening to music. This indeed, is a new wave and a new trend, and it is useless to argue about whether to root out this phenomenon. Instead, artists should find a way to survive that corresponds with the rapidly changing world around us.
Another way to approach this matter is to see it as a type of showing consumers’ interest. Think about the radio. If a good song comes out when people are listening to the radio, they immediately record it and later find what song it was. If the music did not catch the listeners’ ear, they would have just let it pass away. Nobody said recording a random music coming out of the radio was wrong. It is the same with downloading. People download because they want to know what that song is. Neil Young once said that song lifting is the new radio. Therefore, we should not shut the way to experience different types of music. Some argue that the using online sound source has minimized the record industry. Up to a point, I agree, because it is hard to find an offline record shop these days. However, this does not mean that all the blame should go to consumers. It does not always end in a vicious circle. Downloading means spreading, and the artist can use this as a chance to show oneself, just like PSY did with Gangnam Style.
The last thing that should be considered is the quality of the album itself. As I mentioned above, the offline music industry is heading to a decline. Some artists say that the illegal downloading of their creation led to a poorer industry. This argument may be partly correct if every customer is getting music online without paying for it. However, I do not believe this is true because the quality of the artwork is the most important factor when people buy albums. If you want somebody to purchase your music, you have to make it worthwhile for the listener. People are not fools. They know when the album is a true masterpiece. Consumers never waste their time and energy visiting a record shop for just a one song they like when the other numbers are not so worth it.
Music is a genre that was with us for millenniums and will continue in all future generations, therefore it is important to establish some boundaries to protect both artists and consumers. There is a never-ending debate about banning free music downloading off the Internet. Yet I am convinced that it should not be banned because you cannot reverse what is already happening, it reflects consumers’ interest and the quality of the song should be attractive enough to allure consumers. I hope that musicians, companies and consumers can find a way to coexist.
FINAL DRAFT
ReplyDeleteWhose Fault Is It?
201300510 KIM HAYOON
When was the last time you actually entered a record shop and bought an album? Many of you would not remember. If you look closely, you would recognize that most of the songs in your playlist are from a free downloading site or an app. Strictly speaking, these kinds of free distribution is certainly not legal, but people download files anyway. Should downloading music files from the Internet or an application be punished? I say we should not jump to conclusion right away because it is a trend, a unique way of showing interest, and we have to reconsider the quality of produced songs.
First and foremost, downloading music off the Internet has become a trend. Before the new millennium, I remember having a stereo in my house. It was quite big, and the music filled the whole house. If I wanted to listen to music outside the house, I had to bring a CD player with me. It was smaller than the stereo, but I could listen to only one disk at a time. Then I bought my first MP3 player when I turned 12. Now, I use a smartphone and the Internet whenever I feel like listening to a song. So we can tell that due to technological development, devices that are used for listening to music has been made smaller. Plus, with the miniaturization of devices came the downsizing of the music itself. We no longer have to buy disks. Downloading songs off the Internet has become an easier and a more convenient way of listening to music. This indeed, is a new wave and a new trend, and it is useless to argue whether to go back to the way it was. Instead, artists should find a way to survive that corresponds with the rapidly changing world around us.
Another way to approach this matter is to see it as a type of showing consumers’ interest. Think about the radio. I started listening to the radio 7 years ago and the record box is full of songs that I recorded which was coming out of the radio. The interesting thing is, that recording songs off the radio was a habit for hundreds of people for decades, before the introduction of the Internet. Then why do people record particular songs when they can just let it pass away? It is because they care. It is because they are interested in that piece of music. Besides, nobody said recording a random music coming out of the radio was wrong. It is the same with downloading. People download because they want to know what song it is. Neil Young once said that “Song lifting is the new radio.” Therefore, we should not shut the way to experience different types of music. Some argue that the using online sound source has minimized the record industry. Up to a point, I agree, because it is hard to find an offline record shop these days. However, this does not mean that all the blame should go to consumers. It does not always end in a vicious circle. Downloading means spreading, and the artist can use this as a chance to show oneself, just like PSY did with Gangnam Style.
The last thing that should be considered is the quality of the album itself. As I mentioned above, the offline music industry is heading to a decline. Some artists say that the illegal downloading of their creation led to a poorer industry. This argument may be partly correct if every customer is getting music online without paying for it. However, I do not believe this is true because the quality of the artwork is the most important factor when people buy albums. For example, I never bought a single album in my life before I came to know a vocal group named Sweet Sorrow. Their music was somewhat different to other artists. It did not have a rhythmical beat nor did it have a hook that everyone can easily follow. Yet, I felt their music was sincere, honest and truly moved my heart. What I really liked about their album was that every track was worth it. Without even thinking, I ran to the record shop and bought all of their albums. Sweet Sorrow is releasing their fourth album this week, and I will buy them as well. The quality of the artwork is a promise between the artist and the listener. Therefore, if an artist wants to stop people from downloading files off the Internet, then make a worthwhile music for the listeners.
ReplyDeleteMusic is a genre that was with us for millenniums and will continue in all future generations, therefore it is important to establish some boundaries to protect both artists and consumers. There is a never-ending debate about banning free music downloading off the Internet. Yet I am convinced that it should not be banned because you cannot reverse what is already happening, it reflects consumers’ interest and the quality of the song should be attractive enough to allure consumers. I hope that musicians, companies and consumers can find a way to coexist.
POLISHED VERSION
ReplyDeleteWhose Fault Is It?
201300510 KIM HAYOON
When was the last time you actually entered a record shop and bought an album? Many of you might not remember. If you look closely, you would recognize that most of the songs in your playlist are from a free downloading site or an app. Strictly speaking, these kinds of free distribution are certainly not legal, but people download files anyway. Should downloading music files from the Internet or an application be punished? I say we should not jump to conclusion right away because it is a trend, a unique way of showing interest, and it is the musicians’ responsibility to make worthwhile songs for the listeners to buy.
First and foremost, downloading music off the Internet has become a trend. Before the new millennium, I remember having a stereo in my house. It was quite big, and the music filled the whole house. If I wanted to listen to music outside the house, I had to bring a CD player with me. It was smaller than the stereo, but I could listen to only one disk at a time. Then I bought my first MP3 player when I turned 12. Now, I use a smartphone and the Internet whenever I feel like listening to a song. So we can tell that due to technological development, devices that are used for listening to music have been made smaller. Plus, with the miniaturization of devices came the downsizing of the music itself. We no longer have to buy disks. Downloading songs off the Internet has become an easier and a more convenient way of listening to music. This indeed, is a new wave and a new trend, and it is useless to argue whether to go back to the way it was. Instead, artists should find a way to survive that corresponds with the rapidly changing world around us.
Another way to approach this matter is to see it as a type of showing consumers’ interest. Think about the radio. I started listening to the radio 7 years ago and the record box is full of songs that I recorded which was coming out of the radio. The interesting thing is, I was not the only one who recorded songs off the radio. Elderly listeners from KBS FM, CBS FM and MBC FM4U often say that they used to record songs when they were young. Then why do people record particular songs when they can just let it pass away? It is because they care. It is because they are interested in that piece of music. It is the same with downloading. People download because they want to know what song it is. During an interview by Dive Into Media Conference in 2012, Neil Young said that “Piracy is the new radio; it’s how music gets around.” Therefore, we should not shut the way to experience different types of music. Some argue that the using online sound source has minimized the record industry. Up to a point, I agree, because it is hard to find an offline record shop these days. However, this does not mean that all the blame should go to consumers. It does not always end in a vicious circle. Downloading means spreading, and the artist can use this as a chance to show oneself, just like PSY did with Gangnam Style.
The last thing that should be considered is the quality of the album itself. As I mentioned above, the offline music industry is heading to a decline. Some artists say that the illegal downloading of their creation led to a poorer industry. This argument may be partly correct if every customer is getting music online without paying for it. However, I do not believe this is true because the quality of the artwork is the most important factor when people buy albums. For example, I never bought a single album in my life before I came to know a vocal group named Sweet Sorrow. Their music was somewhat different to other artists. It did not have a rhythmical beat nor did it have a hook that everyone can easily follow. Yet, I felt their music was sincere, honest and truly moved my heart. What I really liked about their album was that every track was worth it. Without even thinking, I ran to the record shop and bought all of their albums. Sweet Sorrow is releasing their fourth album this week, and I will buy them as well. The quality of the artwork is a promise between the artist and the listener. Therefore, if an artist wants to stop people from downloading files off the Internet, then make a worthwhile music for the listeners.
ReplyDeleteMusic is a genre that was with us for millenniums and will continue in all future generations, therefore it is important to establish some boundaries to protect both artists and consumers. There is a never-ending debate about banning free music downloading off the Internet. Yet I am convinced that it should not be banned because you cannot reverse what is already happening, it reflects consumers’ interest and the quality of the song should be attractive enough to allure consumers. I hope that musicians, companies and consumers can find a way to coexist.